Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Dating Game

It's been over two years since John passed away and I went through several stages of grief throughout this process.  I was convinced that I would never kiss another man, would never go on another date, and would most certainly never get married again. 

However, as time went by, I realized that while I loved John with every ounce of me, he would want me to be happy.  Enough time had passed and I was actually ready to start dating.  Most of you know that I am a very strong, independent person.  While I don't need someone to take care of me, I'm really ready to have someone in my life that wants to take care of me.  It's tough doing everything by yourself sometimes.

As many of you know, I'm extremely picky when it comes to men.  It especially complicates things when kids are involved.  I want the best for my two little kids that mean that world to me.  I want someone who feels so blessed to have us in their life.  I want someone who has a lot of the same qualities that John had but is totally different. 

I want someone who is smart.  I want someone who is funny.  I want someone who will make me laugh.  I want someone that is motivated.  I want someone that is a good person.  I want someone that will make me be a better person.  I want someone that has good values.  I want someone who will help me with the little day-to-day things.  I want someone who always does the right thing.  I want someone that will love me and my kids with every once of their body.  I want someone who is OK knowing that the fire department will remain my extended family forever.  I want someone who is athletic.  I want someone who is complimentary.  I want someone I can trust.  I want someone who is genuine.  I want someone who loves to travel.  I want someone that is not high maintenance.  I want someone that likes sports.  I want someone who challenges me and keeps me on my toes.  I want someone that doesn't take things for granted.  I want someone that loves their family more than anything.  And, most importantly, I want someone who will love my kids like they are their own.  

Now to throw in my Dad's one criteria for me...they cannot be a Kansas Jayhawks fan.  :)  His preference is definitely a K-Stater (sorry, Dad...I think this is going to be difficult to find in Texas!). 

Ultimately, I want what my parents have...38 years and counting, and still going strong!  They are the best role models of what I had, and of what I hope to have again someday.  They have the type of love that is so inspiring and very rare to see in these days. 

With that being said, several of you have asked if I've dated anyone or would consider dating.  The answer is "yes."  Enough time has passed and I've done a lot of soul searching and have realized that I am ready to be in love again.  I've actually dated one guy since John.  He was a great guy, but in the end, we weren't meant to be together forever.  I'm hopeful that I'll find my forever someday soon.

No comments: